Thursday, December 30, 2010

Dec 29 - Dec 30

Left Garies and headed north on the N7.
Just left and then the buggy started giving problems, technical terms for this fault is "flat spots".
There could be a lot of reasons for this so first thing that I did was to check to Fuel filter. A dirty fuel filter will clog up the little inlet into carburator and cause reduced fuel flow into carburator.
That is wher my limited auto mechanical knowledge stops, more than this and I would have to call upon the professionals.

In Springbok had a great Wimpy breakfast and Coffee and then went over to the Autocare offices.
Quickly had a old pro look at my buggy (who has more years on him than my buggy and myself combined).
Prognosis: Points were burnt out and needed to be exchanged.
R350 later and I was on my way.

Passed both RSA and Namibia customs control and was on my way - Grunau here I come.

Grunau is a one horse town and the horse must have died 40 years ago because there was nothing to see and do. Luckily they have satellite television or else I do not know what the inhabitants of Grunau would get up to at night.

Carried on to Keetmanshoop, after a quick stop at the ATM to get some Namibia Dollars, I headed to "Lafenis Camping" which now is under new management and is called "Maritz Lodge".
First duty after checking in was to jump in the pool to cool down and then pitch my tent.



Camped next to me were 2 couples from South Africa who are traveling through Namibia for their annual December holiday.
And they are from Port Owen, only 25 kilometetrs from wher my parent live.

On the way to Keetmanshoop my battery was not charging and early the next morning I had to visit a mechanic to have a look. Fault was a loose wire, causing the generator not to charge.
You read correctly: my buggy still has a generator that charges the battery.

Now sitting in Marienthal and have to decide on where to spend Old Years Eve: it's a coin-toss between Swakopmund and Tsumeb.
Tsumeb is on my way, Swakopmund would mean an additional 500 kms, but apparently is the place to be in Namibia on Old Years Eve.
I have until Windhoek to decide.......................





No comments:

Post a Comment